BOOOM

22 August 2010 - The Twin Cooling Towers of Athlone in Cape Town are demolished after being judged architecturally unsound. As the crowd grew to several hundred excited onlookers, the police tried to contain and restrict the views fearing safety issues. Ignoring their calls to move down and hiding under a portable cover as rain fell i heard police informing people there were four minutes to go. I relaxed and lowered my camera and waited...suddenly i heard the countdown of the nearby demolition team ...4...3...2...1... I realised i literally had seconds to raise my camera which i had prefocused and fire of frames as the charges exploded and the towers crumbled gracefully to the ground. The crowd cheered and vuvuzelas were blown, then suddenly it was all over and the dust and smoke dissipated over the Athlone suburbs.

Comments

  1. I was there and didn’t even see it in this much detail. Well done, and thanks for filling me in!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts